Friday, June 4, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04

I love the look of Ubuntu. Someone with influence over these things has a great sense of color. Previous to this version were brownish, warm colors. This one has the color theme of an aubergine (eggplant in the US. Aubergine sounds nicer.)

That said, I have been frequently frustrated with Ubuntu as well. It did not do well on my Pentium II.

I wanted to import windows documents for new users but I could not find how to do it. I did find some code called ubuntu-10.04-start-0.4.9.7.tar.gz. I installed it, hoping that it would fix a few odd items. One is having the window button on the left, which was driving me crazy and would surely repel the rest of my family from linux. It works nicely but did not help with importing Windows.

I also want to label the WIndows partitions the same way they are labelled on Windows.i.e. C, E, F. Stay tuned.

Unfortunately, the fonts are not the ones I like. Also, somehow, the buttons got shifted to the left corner of the window again.
Try Applications-> System Tools-> Ubuntu Tweak

1 comment:

  1. I messed up my fonts and decided to re-install. The packages I installed so far are:
    - Startup Manager (to set Windows XP as start default)
    - Ubuntu tweak (via website, not Software uploader) http://linux.softpedia.com/progDownload/Ubuntu-Tweak-Download-30276.html

    -

    ReplyDelete